Updated: May 2, 2021
Heyyyoo.. it’s KO! My name is Keturah, as you probably know already, but my friends call me K-tor, KO (my initials) or Ketch (if you know me from high school). I am originally from New Jersey. JERSEYYY, but currently live in Georgia. Although most of my family is still up north, I think I will stay in a predominantly warm location for the rest of my life because I really don’t like the cold. I am also committed to never having to shovel snow again. If you follow me on Instagram, you have probably seen posts on my story about how much I hate air conditioning and my perfect room temperature being 76 degrees. I am convinced it is the Nigerian blood running through my veins that has made me this way. My dad is Nigerian and came to America when he was 18 for school, while my mom is black American and her grandparents are Jamaican and Bajan. I think this has influenced most of who I am in many different ways from the people I surround myself with, to the food I eat, and the music I listen to.
I decided to start this blog so that you could get to know me better, but more importantly to hopefully inspire and help others learn and grow from my experiences. Some blogs you can expect in the future include discussing controversial topics that appear in my monthly books, a series of letters to female student-athletes in college offering advice, and anything that pertains to helping others become the best person they can be.
I want to JUMP start (pun intended) my blog by sharing 10 things about myself that are not commonly known. This will give you a better understanding of who I am and my perspectives as you continue to engage with my personal thoughts here.
1. I’m honest, sometimes too honest. I have always felt like everyone has a rulebook of what is okay to say and what isn’t… but no one gave it to me. So I’m still working through my honesty and trying to make sure it’s only given when needed.
2. I’m very reserved and quiet at first because I like to observe others and things around me before opening up. If you want to see my personality quickly the easiest way is… games. Board games. Card games. I love them all.
3. I am extremely inquisitive; I probably ask too many questions for most. I think it is because I love to learn and I need things to make sense in my head.
4. I practice Spanish everyday on the Duolingo app, listen to an English & Spanish podcast, and keep my subtitles for TV shows in Spanish. I think it is so cool that people can speak a different language and wish I could also. I also love accents and wish I had one. (SN: looking for someone to practice speaking Spanish with)
5. I don’t like attention so I never tell people when my birthday is or announce my accomplishments. It makes me extremely uncomfortable.
6. I love music and I think I learn lyrics faster than most. Beyonce, J. Cole, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Kendrick, if I like the song I probably know over 50% of the lyrics in the song. My preferred genres are rap, afrobeats, and reggae. I also love singing but I'm terrible at it!
7. I have never tried alcohol or coffee. I hate the smell of both.
8. I love love love love love food and can consume more food than the average person… ask anyone who knows me to confirm this lol.
9. I cannot binge watch TV and actually don’t watch TV much at all. I don't like doing the same thing over and over and over again for a long period of time. Because of this, it will take me forever to finish an entire show since I am sometimes watching less than one episode a week.
10. I like to include people and never want others to feel left out because I know how that feels and don’t want others to experience it.
Sooooooo.. that's the quick version of getting to know Keturah Orji!
I really hope y’all will join me on this journey of discovery, growth, and challenging opinions and thoughts! My next blog post will be a letter to collegiate student-athletes, specifically women offering my advice and my insight on all aspects of collegiate athletics.
Comment below any questions you have or ideas for blog posts that you would be interested in reading!